Thursday 16 September 2010

Reading is good!


As the essence of this blog is my observations “here and there”, here is another thing that comes to my mind to share:  Reading- free reading, actually.

There are 2 newspapers that I have seen until now (Evening Standard and Metro) that are free (yes, the concept “free” is something new to me!) and they can be said to contain almost all the news that are “worthy of” being news (says my past as a journalist). They are distributed in metro stations, at least in all that I have been to. Usually someone hands them to you, sometimes you just go and pick up one. It makes me happy to see that such a service exists, so people are encouraged to read. Instead of just sitting in the metro for, maybe, an hour to get to your work/home, you do something else that also enriches you in various ways. Even if you read all the celebrity news, you’ll have at least practiced your reading skills! 

I have always believed in the power of educating oneself, to put differently, the difference between people/nations/countries who read and who do not. And I know, the difference is striking!
I absolutely do not want to be a harsh critic, this is jusy my humble opinion, yet I know the difference, one just realizes.... From the micro-cosmos (someone who reads) to the macro one (what I have just mentioned about the ones who read and who do not) and I am sure you do, too.
I am sure there are many dimensions of such a service: financial aspects (a free newspaper, widely circulated, salaries of the employees working on these newspapers....), distribution (available to all) or even simply, the content (journalists writing the news and comments). We see that it is possible, although I am not sure about the costs associated with this. My Turkish friends would understand me better: Do you think we could have such a service in Turkey? I wish we could….  I have faith! 

No comments: